Author Topic: Make A Grunge Purse From A Cast off Gucci Scarf  (Read 754 times)

T.S.

• Administrator
    • Email
Make A Grunge Purse From A Cast off Gucci Scarf
« on: June 02, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »
Turn a Designer Gucci Scarf To A Designer Purse
I bought this frayed scarf at a yard sale and I certainly would have passed it up if not for the designer logo imprinted through out the scarf.
I wanted a dressy purse that was extremely light weight to take on a cruise for formal nights. This purse needed to fit my cell phone and possibly my e-reader.
The scarf was the perfect weight, and what could be fancier than Gucci

My scarf was 12” wide and this would due for the width of the purse.
I decided that I needed 30” cut from the scarf length.
I folded the 30” length cut off in half, and with the reverse side facing up, I sewed a seam on each side using 1/8” seam allowance.
I finished the edges on the top opening, and folded the fabric down 2” to inside of purse.
I sewed a casing 1 1/2” down from this folded edge. My casing was ½” wide.

I opened the side seams in the casing so I could thread ribbon through each side, to form a drawstring.

I cut two ribbons 25” long each.  I attached a small safety pin at the end of each ribbon and then threaded one ribbon through each side of the casing. I tied each side of the ribbon together in a knot at the ends.  I pulled the strings and the purse closed.

I didn’t have much length left from my original scarf and I still needed a handle for my purse. Since I was going for a grunge look anyway, I decided to sew pieces of leftover scarf to make a handle.  Each piece was 2” wide.  I joined all the pieces together to a length of about 36”.  I folded the width of this 36” strip in half, right sides together, and sewed a 1/8” seam down the entire length. I used a small safety pin at the end to pull the strip right side out. Where ever the pieced seams were visible I tied knots, once again adding to the grunge look.
I sewed the handle to each side of my purse.

I found a fancy shoe clip in my broken jewelry stash and attached it at the center, making my purse very shabby chic.
Best of all, this purse folds up nicely, and ties into a small pouch for easy travel.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 06:03:41 PM by T.S. »