Author Topic: Iron-On Vinyl Crafts and Waterproofing Cushions Video  (Read 5034 times)

• Administrator
    • Email
Iron-On Vinyl Crafts and Waterproofing Cushions Video
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:55:27 PM »
Several years ago I found this incredible iron-on clear vinyl at a craft store. I purchased some yardage of this vinyl along with a pretty summer print fabric. After fusing the clear vinyl to the fabric, I used this now laminated fabric to make easy to  clean, waterproof outdoor pillows.
Recently I re-discovered this iron on vinyl at a Jo-ann's Fabrics and Crafts Store.  I again bought several yards and this time I fused the vinyl onto a pirate print fabric and also onto a Pirates Of The Carribean  paper poster. The paper poster print became the center focal point of the small tote purse I created.

After making this creation I thought of a few other uses, such as a child's apron, decorator place mats, wallets.

Replace old seat cushions with waterproof vinyl. The new cushions will be simple to clean and last many years.

1.Make a pillowcase for your old outdoor cushion by measuring the length and width of front and back of this cushion. Add at least 1/2" seam allowance for all seams.
Step 2

2. On reverse side, sew all seams leaving the back seam open.
Step 3

3. Turn the pillowcase right side out.
Step 4

4. Measure your vinyl to fit one side of the pillowcase. The width of this vinyl is narrow so this may need to be cut in two pieces.

Step 5

5. Cut vinyl out.

Step 6

6. Pre-heat dry iron to medium temperature.

Step 7

7. Peel vinyl from paper. Place sticky-side of vinyl on right, top side of pillowcase.

Step 8

8. Place protective paper shiny side down on vinyl. Hold iron in each area for 8 seconds. Continue this process in each area until entire top pillowcase is covered.

Step 9

Turn pillowcase to back side. Hold iron in each area for 4 seconds. Continue over entire back side of pillowcase.

Step 10

7. Wait for the vinyl to cool and remove paper.

Step 11

Slip the old cushion into this new vinyl covered pillowcase and slip stitch the open end closed.

Any other ideas out there?

The vinyl is called Therm O Web Iron On Vinyl and it can be purchased by the yard at Jo-ann's Fabrics and Crafts Stores.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:32:50 PM by T.S. »